I have inherited webmaster duties for a DOT employees organization. For the most part the site is very neglected, somebody put a lot of effort into it one time and then nothing really came of it. It also uses frames. The problem I have with frames is you never really know where you are and in this case there are eight different local branches of the club, plus the statewide organization. The colors and buttons are kind of simple. I thought using I could use a format kind of like what the blogs use where there are two columns, one for links and one for content. But I’m terrible with colors and didn’t just want to use Vicksburg Olive like my blog does, even though I like the way those colors work together.
I found a neat website that offers a color wheel. It may be in different places because they guy says he will let you put the source on your own page (with ads), but this is where I found it:
You pick any color by changing the Red, Green, and Blue values and it comes up with a palette of complimentary colors usings that color (or something close to it, really he rounds everthing off so that you are only choosing from 4,000 instead of 16,777,216 colors).
So what I did was took the Vicksburg theme CSS, then added in the basic CSS to have everything in one file. Then I took a snapshot of my blog page and used LView to tell me what the different color values were for the background, text color, etc. There are about 8 colors used. Then I went to color wheel and picked a scheme I liked and wrote down 8 color values that I wanted to use, trying to match them up with my blog snapshot. Lastly, I opened the CSS file for editing and did a find and replace for the original color value and replaced it with the new color value. I’m sure that as uncomplicated as my example is that I didn’t need 90% of the CSS that was in the file but it was easier to do a global replace than edit the sheet (it was enough trouble putting the module column on the left instead of the right).
The new color scheme:
I posted some test pages at the original site. The first is based on Vicksburg Olive, the second on the new one above, and the third is another one I came up with later. I have modified the style sheets to take out most of what I don’t need and renaming some of the classes to be more appropriate to a web page. It was all very confusing, but the results look pretty professional, I think.