In celebration of Mom’s birthday and without any Wynnona to offer, I made her a mix CD. It is based on some of the songs I got around the time I made Dad’s Mix which consisted mostly of pre-rock 50’s songs. I really don’t know what Mom would like any more than what Dad would like, but I put some later pop songs like Captain and Tennille, Righteous Brothers, and Neil Diamond on this one.
There are some more recently recorded songs like two from O Brother Where Art Thou (which are very old songs). I put one Tina Turner song that I like (the only one I have). Aimee Mann (formerly of Til Tuesday) did a nice version of Harry Nilsson’s “One” [is the loneliest number] in the soundtrack of the 1999 movie Magnolia, but the song starts off with one of Tom Cruise’s lines. Well, I didn’t want that and found out that in the properties of a song iTunes will let you start and end the song at any point during the song. So I started it at 2 seconds and it came out perfect. I didn’t even know that feature was there until today. It would also work great for some songs where there is a long silence leading into it (Lyle Lovett’s Road to Ensenada has a song like that) and a Smashing Pumpkins song on the Singles sountrack that ends in 3 minutes of mind-numbing feedback.
I put Sonny and Cher’s “I Got You Babe” on there and that made the Partridge Family’s “I Think I Love You” seem to fit. Harry Nilsson appears on his own on the mix doing the song from Midnight Cowboy, “Everybody’s Talkin” and I should have probably bought another of his songs, [Put the Lime in the] “Coconut”, which Mom likes. I guess these are mostly late 60’s pop songs. But I have Paul Young’s 80’s hit (written by Darryl Hall of Hall n Oates) “Every Time You Go Away” which I like anyway and threw in an Enya song too from the otherwise lackluster album by the same name of “Shepherd Moon”. To close I picked two songs, Neil Diamond’s great anthem “I Am . . . I Said” and the very fun song “Good Vibrations” by the Beach Boys, the only song I can think of that features the theremin, a kind of hand-operated synthesizer.
Anyway . . . Happy Birthday, Mom! If you need me to make any revisions to the CD, just let me know.
- Neil Diamond – Sweet Caroline
- Captain and Tennille – Love Will Keep Us Together
- B.J. Thomas – Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head
- The Tokens – The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- Tina Turner – Better Be Good to Me
- Aimee Mann – One
- Righteous Brothers – Unchained Melody
- Neil Diamond – Holly Holy
- Paul Young – Every Time You Go Away
- Dusty Springfield – Wishin’ and Hopin’
- Don McLean – Vincent
- Partridge Family – I Think I Love You
- O Brother Soundtrack – I’ll Fly Away
- Enya – Shepherd Moon
- Harry Nilsson – Everybody’s Talkin’
- Righteous Brothers – You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling
- Sonny and Cher – I Got You Babe
- O Brother Soundtrack – I Am Weary (Let Me Rest)
- Judy Collins – Send in the Clowns
- Neil Diamond – I Am . . . I Said
- Beach Boys – Good Vibrations